Saturday, March 20, 2010

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

By Angela Bhandal

John 8:36

What does “to be free indeed” mean?

This will be our study tonight.

When I was driving away from the kindergarten I had just dropped Anna off at, a thought ran through my mind - “I am free”. It felt really good! And then something pricked my conscience and another thought ran through my mind - “what am I free of and is this really the freedom you should be seeking?”. God was visiting me! This question quietly persisted in my head and I tried to find an answer for it hoping it would go away. But the more I pondered it, the more I realised that there was something much deeper here that God wanted me to answer.


As a Christian, it’s been a long time since I thought about exactly what God has set me free from so I thought that this would be good to do a study on and this is what I’d like to share tonight.

How freedom in the world is understood and practised, is very different to the freedom God talks about in His word - the Bible.

So my dear friends, what does it mean to be free indeed?

Please feel free to share whatever comes into your head.

Compare the OT story in Exodus of when God rescued His people and set them free to the story of mankind today also needing a Saviour to set them free

Explain what it means to be set free from the law - as Paul observes “No one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscience of sin (Rom. 3:20)

To be free indeed means to be set free from the law of sin and death

There is only one person who can set you free and that is Jesus Christ

When we are free, God has a requirement of us and that’s to serve one another in love
Bible verses

So if the son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
John 8:36
Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
Romans 6:18
You my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather serve one another in love.
Galatians 5:15
Because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.
Romans 8:2

Old Testament

1. Mankind is oppressed and helpless.

2. God acts to redeem, winning his people’s release.

3. The freed people live righteous lives

4. God continues to act for his people to preserve their freedom from oppressing power.

New Testiment

1. Humanity is in bondage to sin and no one can free himself from it’s chains.

2. God has acted in Christ to redeem, setting us free from both sin and the law.

3. Freed from sin’s bondage, we can live truly righteous lives.

4. God, through his Holy Spirit, acts within us to enable us to remain free from the oppressing power of sin and the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment