Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Deep Cries Out To Deep


By Hayley Boud

Psalm 42:7
“Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.”





When you empty a deep dish, the more you empty the dish, the deeper you go into the dish. If you open your Bible, the more you read it, the more you ask questions, the more you meditate on it; the more you will discover the hidden things. Once you go deep, you’ll want to go deeper. This is the positive side of deep cries out to deep, there is also a negative side…

You might have friends you are deep in sin and the closer you go to them, you might also go deeper into sin. We have to be careful. For example, you might have a bottle of alcohol in front of you and you might think to yourself, “I’ll just have one glass, that will be ok, just one glass” but after one glass you take another, and then another and slowly as you go deeper into the bottle, you also go deeper into drunkenness.



It’s like a swimming pool; if I put my foot into the pool, I can choose how deep to let my foot go into it. At any point I can remove my foot. This is the same with sin. For example, if I lie to my mum this morning, I can choose to keep going deeper and deeper into that lie, I can keep lying to cover up the last lie and then another lie to cover that one, or I can choose to pull my foot out of the pool and choose to stop lying.



In this verse it says that deep calls out to deep in the ROAR of the waterfall. The sound of the Word of God goes deeper into our lives and when we share it with others, it goes deep into their spirit and they can feel in their heart, “yes, this is how I should live”, just through the sound of the Word of God.



The sound of a waterfall goes from the top to the bottom and it produces noise that doesn’t stop. When you hear the Word of God with the Holy Spirit, you’ll hear it over and over and it continues in your heart until it becomes a part of your life. When you listen to the waterfall, you won’t hear the voice of others because it’s so powerful and it dominates your mind. Before I became a Christian, God revealed to me that “unless you give up everything, you cannot be a disciple of Christ” Luke 14:33 and this verse really struck me. I understood that I had to give up EVERYTHING, to follow Christ. I wrestled with that verse all night until I finally gave in and said, “yes, Jesus, I give up everything for you.” It was like a waterfall that wouldn’t stop and it completely dominated my mind.



Many people find the waterfall noisey and they don’t like it. This is the same with the Word of God, many people don’t want to know about what it says about sin because they don’t want to change so they go somewhere quiet to get away from it.



It’s hard to imagine that a waterfall as big as Victoria Falls between Zimbabwe and Zambia starts from a simple river. In fact, the waterfall originates from small drops miles away that turns into a very small stream, which turns into the Zambezi river which gets bigger and bigger until it reaches Victoria Falls and it is impressive. The river has a course it has to follow, it passes through solid ground (soil) and God has put a canal that leads the water. The soil doesn’t move with the water, only the water moves. This is the same with the Word of God. One person can say a verse from the Bible and pass that on to one person, who passes it on to the next person, who passes it on and the Word of God keeps moving and it passes from nation to nation without people moving.



Many people can’t hear the water moving in the river, but when the water falls, they can hear and this is the time we are living now, the is the era of change which we are calling the end times. Most people want to go somewhere quiet, away from the noise of the waterfall to listen to the quiet river and so they meditate on the Word of God but they don’t let it go deep and it can’t change their lives. We need to allow the Word of God to penetrate us and to transform us.



We can choose to either go deep into the Word of God (reading it, meditating on it, praying using verses, encouraging others with it, asking questions about it, memorizing scripture) or we can choose to go deep into sin. It’s our choice, either way; deep cries out to deep.



1 comment: