Thursday, March 19, 2009

God is on our side!

By Hayley Boud

(Luke 19:1-10)

This morning I was dreaming about Zaccheus. Who can tell me the story of Zaccheus?

He was a man (vs2) just like you and me. He was the chief tax collector and he was rich. So most people didn’t like him. It’s not easy to be the boss and it’s not easy to be rich. People will hate you just because of that. He was short and to be honest most short people are neglected in this world (there is even scientific proof on that).

He was trying to see Jesus and needed to climb a tree in order to see Him.

Then.... Jesus looked up and looked into the eyes of Zaccheus. How will you feel if that were you? Will you be afraid, happy? If Jesus looks directly into your eyes, will you look directly back?

Then...Jesus said, “hurry down for today I must stay at your house”. WOW! Imagine God telling you that. “Hurry, Hayley, today I must stay at your house”. How fast will you run home? How quickly will you make your house clean? What food will you prepare for Jesus? I think I will be afraid, maybe my house is not clean enough and maybe my food is not good enough.

Then all the people began to grumble (v7) saying Jesus has gone to be the guest of a sinner. Instead of rejoicing for Zaccheus, instead of encouraging Zacheus, instead of helping Zaccheus, they wanted to complain. And we know what happened, Zaccheus gave back four times what he took from others and Jesus said that today salvation has come to this house (v8).

But what does this story mean for us? I think we have to remember that we were once like Zaccheus, we were sinners and sometimes still make mistakes but Jesus has looked at us, called us to come quickly and He has eaten with us and come to our houses and chosen us to be among those who are saved. That is awesome and I believe we all know that and we are all grateful. I know that we have all been transformed because of it, in the same way that Zaccheus became a new person, so have we. No one here is the same person that they were 10 years ago. Everybody is a new creation and we all acknowledge that.

One thing that I want to encourage us all tonight is...if God looked at you, and chose you, then He must love you and care about you and if that is the case, then He will never leave you and He will always provide for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment