Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ministry of Pastor (Part III)

By Odon Bulamba (10th Nov 2000)

A pastor is someone like you and me, who is employed to play a great role in the church of God.

The Greek word for pastor means shepherd and the shepherd must know all his responsibilities to take good care of the flock of the Lord. As Jesus Christ Himself said: “I am the good shepherd and I know my sheep’s voice and my sheep also know my voice”.

This is different with our pastors today, they hardly know the voice of their sheep and they even sometimes forget their names! This is terrible.
- Good morning Pastor?
- When did I see this person? Remind me, where have I met you?
and the Christian must start explaining.
- Pastor, don’t you know? I am a member of your church!
- Ah yeah! I remember now!
And this is a lie, because he actually doesn’t remember. He is lying, a hypocrite.

So because pastors don’t care enough for their sheep, they forget the essential. So if the pastor doesn’t know my name, how will he come to visit me? If the pastor doesn’t know me personally, how will he know my problems: he is not a good person because the good shepherd knows the sheep’s voice and I must know his voice too.

Jesus said: “When the wolf attacks the sheep, the shepherd will give his own life to his sheep.” Impossible to imagine that in our churches today.
- Pastor, do you know this brother/ sister has a problem?
- What can I do? It’s not my business. I also have my family and I am busy.
- So, pastor, where is God’s work? How do you take care of your flock?

1 Timothy 3: 2-7
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre;
but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house,
how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall
into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Last time, we saw that the pastor must be blameless, with one wife and his children must be believers, of good reputation and obedient. But you will see that today in the pastor’s house, the devil has set his foundations especially through the children. We will see that the pastor’s children are in complete contradiction with what their fathers do (who they are). Imagine I am a pastor, you will see that my children are not even Christians. But the Bible says in

1 Tim. 3:4 & 5
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

This is what God tells us. If you can’t look after your own household, if you are not ready to help your children know who Jesus Christ is in their lives, how can you be able to look after 1000 people, for example.

Jesus says that if we are not able to do little things, it will be impossible to do great things.

No comments:

Post a Comment