Thursday, January 8, 2015

Live Matches


By Graham Robertson
 
Nowadays, people tend to use gas lighters to light the BBQ, or a bonfire or a cigarette. But I remember when I used matches. When you are looking to light your cigarette (in the old days when I smoked, before I quit) and you spot the box of matches, you are so happy because inside that box will be a match which will allow you to breathe the smoke deep in your lungs and receive that pure sense of reward.

The matchbox promises so much – but what if it contains no live matches? Even if it contained only one match, then that would be a different story, that would be enough.

What if I didn’t need the match to light a cigarette but needed the match for survival. Then that one match left in the box would be very important indeed!

Recently, I have been visiting other churches and not to make a judgement about them, it seems to me that from the outside they have the appearance of a beautiful matchbox but inside there are no live matches. Not all churches are like this but a lot are

Imagine Jesus' disappointment when he opens our box of matches and finds no live matches because we neglect our times with Him, neglecting prayer and reading the Bible and meeting together as the Bible encourages us to do and is essential for our spiritual growth.

At the end of all the gospels is a clear message to go and make disciples and  preach the gospel In Matt 28:19; Mark 16:15; Luke 24:47-48;

John 20:21 “Again Jesus said, ‘Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.’

We are to be His witnesses, wherever we go, whatever we are doing and whomever we are with. Only one match is needed to light a bonfire! Be ready all ways and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment