Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Way

By Colleen Podmore

 
On the night before Jesus was crucified, He told His disciples that He was going to prepare a place for them.

                Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me.

                In my Father’s house are many rooms, if it were not so, I would have told you;

for I go to prepare a place for you’ John 14:1-2

Jesus said, ‘…for I go to prepare a place for you…’

Now there are a couple of ways of interpreting this statement…’

 

Did Jesus mean that he was going to heaven and was going to build a place for us – like some kind of divine carpenter? I am going ‘there’ to prepare a place for you?

-No, I don’t think so, because he had already said that His father’s house had many rooms or dwelling places. So our dwelling place in heaven is already built, already in existence and it’s big enough for everyone who has a ticket (Rev 21)

Jesus said ’…for I go to prepare a place for you…’ perhaps Jesus meant that ‘one day’ he was going to prepare a place for us? Once again probably not; God’s plan is already in place. He is not just reacting to circumstances but already has a programme in place which will find its future fulfillment.

Jesus said, ‘I go’ and the Way He goes is the Way He prepares a place for us! He goes via the cross. He makes the Way for us to follow Him; through His going.

‘…for ‘I go’ to prepare a place for you...’ Because I go in this Way, this will make it possible for you to follow me. Jesus said, “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. Jesus is the Way to the Father because He is Truth and Life! (John 14:6)

‘If I go and prepare a place for you I will back and take you to be with me forever’. (John 14:3) Amen

 Jesus is the Way because He is the only One who could pay the price for the sins of the world – the perfect sacrificial lamb and He will come again and until He does he has asked us, His church, His Bride to remember Him through this simple ceremony of sharing in the bread and the cup.

Symbols of his body broken and His blood shed to make a Way by the forgiveness of sins to all who believe and put their trust in him.

 Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment