Saturday, April 25, 2015

Communion: Grace

By Hayley Boud

 Romans 3:23, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”

II Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

 

As I drive past a car sales yard, I see a sign that tells me they will take my old car and give me a new one.  That sounds like a very attractive deal.  My car isn’t that old but it has a few paint chips and scratches.  It doesn’t look as good as a new car.  I like the deal.  It sounds like a good one.  How would you feel?  If someone said, I’ll swap your old car for this brand new Ferrari?  Would you take the deal?  I’d be happy to exchange my old car for a new one. 

 

Praise God because each of us have exchanged their old lives for new lives.  We are completely different people.  However, we still try to go back to our old ways from time to time.  We sometimes try to exchange our new life for our old life.  Let’s take some time now and think about that this morning.  Let’s think about our week and ask ourselves, have we gone backwards?  Maybe I’ve gone back to my old way of complaining, or impatience, or anger.  If we have, let’s take time to get right before God and promise to exchange that old way of living for God’s ways. 

 

Let’s praise God for the bread and wine that reminds us that Jesus paid the price so we can be a new creation.  Let’s thank Him for dying on the cross to pay for our sin and for His blood that makes us clean.  Let’s thank Him because unlike the car sales yard, we get to exchange our old lives for free.  He gives us new lives that are much more attractive than our old lives – for free.  Praise God.

No comments:

Post a Comment